Not sure how it happens, but once December hits, you can feel the increased tension in the air and see it all around. I do my best to stay positive and keep my Christmas spirit up. However, some people seem to forget there are other people around them and that increased tension seems to shut down their brains Not you readers! 😊
So, this year, I am taking a hint from Cas at Clutterbug, to make a list of things that make me happy at this time of year. She called it a bucket list, but I am calling it a menu. On a menu, I can pick and choose my options and there is no competition to “eat it all.” As Cas mentions, it is easy to get “distracted” by the hustle and bustle and the list of to-dos. That is when we miss out on the “magical” moments that the season has to offer. So, this year, let’s make a menu of the simple, no fuss things that bring us joy and then include something each day that makes us smile.
Here’s a few of my ideas to get you started. You already know the kinds of things that bring a smile to your face, so it should be easy for you to make your own list. Just be sure to add something that brings the magic to your day. Get your family involved too – everyone needs more magic.
Magic Moment Menu
- Have a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows (spiced cider or peppermint tea, whatever you like best)
- Drive around your town to check out the lights
- Bake cookies in fun shapes or a gingerbread house
- Cas’ suggestion: “do something kind for a stranger”
- Watch Hallmark
- If there is snow, build a snow something….(we’ve made a dragon, giant turtle, reindeer and Santa, in the past)
- Take a walk in the woods (even better if there is some snow)
- Read a holiday story
- Play Christmas charades or trivia with the kids
- Sit in the dark with only the Christmas tree on and breathe
You get the idea. Take some time to breathe and take in the magic of this time of year. It all gets done, you know it always works out, so why not take time to enjoy those little moments. They add up to some great memories.
Wishing you all the magic of this time of year no matter what holiday you celebrate.